Sunday, May 3, 2015

Art Binge on WGA

1141AD, Mosaic, Santi Maria e Donato, Murano
Quick note to say if you haven't seen it, this is a good website for an art binge: WGA.  Its actually not a good looking website, feels a little dated, but it has a solid image database to get lost in.  

I initially directed students to it for a place to browse for work they found interesting (rather than the terrifying things they find on google images) and I found a lot of weird and good images myself. 

 I like the way it suggests genres and artists, and the image quality is pretty high...you can also browse around in different cathedrals and palaces which is cool.  I never thought I would miss seeing the inside of a church while I was studying abroad and practically felt like I was living in them, but now its been a while and it scratches the itch for finding obscure, weird, beautiful, forgotten things...

Mirror in the form of a mask
1590s
Turquoise, diamomds, and gilt and enameled silver
Museo degli Argenti, Palazzo Pitti, Florence

0 comments:

Post a Comment