Saturday, January 3, 2015

Sunday Pick: Jean Brusselmans

Dilbeek Sous La Neige, 1938


Winter, 1925

Jardin Sous La Neige, 1942 


Seringen, 1934

I've been enjoying the paintings of Belgian artist Jean Brusselmans (1884-1953).  His use of white, black and chromatic grays is really strong.  I also think the stylized mark making, although typical of the time feel somehow specific enough to be fresh today.  I am most drawn to his landscape works, particularly snow scenes, but think the vase of flowers above is beautiful in its play with flatness and pattern.  

2 comments:

Art Work by Paula Swaydan Grebel said...

Nice post Aubrey. Have you seen his paintings in person. Your analysis is very good. psg

Aubrey Levinthal said...

Thanks Paula, I have not seen in person. I hope to though. Someday...

Post a Comment