Wednesday, April 12, 2017

Ceramicists I'm Looking At


I don't know that these three ceramicists have all that much in common except that I love the way the artists are using the material, the way their hand is so present in the making and the forms feel joyous.  

I was just in a show, Cakehole, at Mrs. Gallery which introduced me to this work by Robert Chamberlin.  These images have been grabbed from his website or instagram, which is a fantastic look into his studio and the making of these vessels.  




The work of Matt Wedel, below, I found directly through Instagram and also really enjoy looking at process and studio shots as well as finished work there.  I would love to see these in person, the scale is really large and sculptural for many of them.






Finally, I really love the work of Saskia Sutherland.  I can't find much digitally, these images below are courtesy of John Davis Gallery, but I first came across the work and still think about it in a show we were in at Queens College.  




I've been thinking a lot about what it would be like to make still life paintings from ceramics.  The shapes and colors in these pieces would keep me sustained for a long time.  I keep thinking too, what would it be like if a painter, like Morandi or Mary Fedden, had one of these objects snuck into their table set ups?  Need to find a ceramic artist to collaborate with...or a wad of cash to start a collection...


0 comments:

Post a Comment