Friday, October 19, 2012

Elaine Pamphilon

I thought this artist, Elaine Pamphilon, was an interesting one who I have looked at on occasion.  She lives and works in Cornwall which is somewhere in the UK on the sea, so naturally I'm jealous.  But I can sense that immediately from her work.  Beautiful grays and lines and space reminiscent of Ben and Winifred Nicholson, Mary Fedden and a few other great painters from there.


I feel a sort of kindred spirit to her interest in things, patterns and odd little arrangements.




I tend to like the pieces which have less text -- they are a bit less illustrative but I like learning from these pieces how she negotiates the place between painting and illustrating.



And she paints succulents and Marimekko dishware from time to time so what's not to love!

2 comments:

Lari Washburn said...

I just checked out your Etsy shop. I think your work is fantastic. So full of life. You must be a reader of Robert Henri!

Aubrey Levinthal said...

Thanks so much Lari!

Post a Comment