Monday, November 5, 2018

Vuillard's Doubt


Portrait of Thadee Natanson, 1897, Oil on Cardboard mounted on Panel, 20 x 15 inches, Brooklyn Museum


I liked this enough to copy it by hand into my sketchbook, but now I don't know which book on Vuillard it came from.  I think its perfect, except maybe for the word 'charm' (feeling too nice by today's use.)

"...has a melancholy quality, neither romantic nor disdainful, but discreet, with a sense of everyday; has a tender, caressing quality, almost I would say timid if such a word could possibly be used in connection with so much skill.  But, despite all his success I sense the charm of anxiety and doubt.  He never uses a color that is not immediately toned down by subtle and valuable relationships."

The Green Lamp, 1893, Oil on Board, 8.25 x 10.25 inches, Museum of Modern Art



0 comments:

Post a Comment