Sunday, April 21, 2013

Sunday Pick: Albert Irvin

Blackfriars VII, 2005, Monoprint

Blackfriars XVIII, 2005, Monoprint

Greenwich II, 1991, Monoprint

Marshalsea XIX, 2005, Monoprint
Thanks to a fruitful conversation I have been having with a new painting friend, whose work I assure you I will introduce here in coming weeks, the work of Albert Irvin was brought up.  I am particularly taken with his monoprints.  

I enjoy how saturated the color can feel while keeping it all within a certain tone.  It reminds me of the way things look right after the sun sets, when color is vibrant but dark.  Coincidentally or maybe this is the reason why I am interested in his work currently, I am attempting to make a big painting of that time of day.  An enormous challenge that is getting the best of me at the present moment-- hats off to these monoprints.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yay! I love it!!! All the best with the big painting! <3

sonia a. mascaro said...

Really beautiful and vibrant!
Thanks for introduce to me the artist Albert Irvin.

Post a Comment